Friday, July 13, 2007

serviettes and doilies

Why do some coffee shops insist on providing cake and other refreshment ON TOP OF a serviette (on top of a plate)? When I have coffee and cake, I would like to receive a serviette for the purpose of removing the crumbs from my visage, the jam from my fingers, the crema from my lips... It defeats the purpose to have food all over it to start with!

[ Some places seem to have two classes of serviette - a smaller one that goes under the food and a larger one that is provided to be used as a serviette. I can't decide if this arrangement is better or just stranger. ]

I have concluded that the whole thing is a bizarre conflation of a serviette and the now mostly defunct doily (aka doyley). Paper doilies are ridiculous by nature but, if somewhere feels that one is required, I would like to have an actual one AND a serviette. The functions of a doily and a serviette cannot be amalgamated in this way!

1 Comments:

Blogger Hecta said...

It seems, however, that both doilies and serviettes (under a cake/biscuit) provide a good indication of the fat and oil content in the transparent smears that are left on them.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home